Rhubarb Buttermilk Muffins
Last night I had a craving for muffins. I also had frozen rhubarb in the freezer left over from one of my organics bins in the summer. I also had a carton of buttermilk that needed using. So, freezer foraging, using stuff up and satisfying a craving turned into these rhubarb buttermilk muffins. I got the base recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe (thanks Mel!) but I didn’t have any coconut oil or vegetable oil so I used…olive oil. Sounds weird, I know, but it worked just fine. I also used only brown sugar and oats as the topping, again, worked just fine.
- 2.5 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 C frozen rhubarb, chopped
- 1.25 C brown sugar
- 1/2 C olive oil
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 C buttermilk
- 1/4 C lightly packed brown sugar
- 1/4 C quick cook oats
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line two 12-cup muffin tins with muffin cups.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Toss in the chopped rhubarb and stir to coat.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the brown sugar, oil, egg, vanilla and buttermilk.
- Pour wet ingredients into dry and stir just until combined.
- Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
- Mix the streusel ingredients and sprinkle evenly on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until the tops of the muffins spring back or a knife inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let the muffins cool for five or so minutes before removing them from the pan to cool on a wire rack.