Seeded Rye Bread (Soda Bread)
My mom Marja-Terrtu (Meri for you Anglos), made this delicious rye bread over the Christmas holidays. It goes exceptionally well with smoked salmon or whatever dip you can think of.
- 1 1/2 C dark rye flour
- 3/4 C all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 C kefir
- 1/4 C fancy molasses
- 1/3 C pepitas
- 2 tsp whole flax seeds
- 1 tsp caraway seeds
- 2 tsp kefir
- 1 Tbsp pepitas
- 1 tsp flax seeds
- 1/2 tsp caraway
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Whisk together the flours, soda and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the kefir and molasses together until smooth.
- Add dry to to wet ingredients until just mixed.
- Stir in the seeds
- Scrape into a 9 x 5 loaf pan that has been greased and lined with baker’s parchment.
- Smooth top and brush with the tsp of kefir, sprinkle with topping.
- Bake until cake tester comes out clean with a few moist crumbs (approx. 70 minutes).
- Cool pan on a rack for 10 minutes.
- Remove from pan and cool completely.